Work skill instructor Skill Set
Completing this skill set will qualify you to work as a work skill instructor or deliver nationally recognised training under supervision in the Vocational Education and Training (VET) sector.
This means you can start working as a Trainer in an RTO without completing the full TAE40122 Certificate IV in Training and Assessment , starting sooner to share your wisdom and positively impact the next generation of people entering your industry.
IMPORTANT: The two units of competency of this skill set can be used towards the full TAE40122 Certificate IV in Training and Assessment in the future.
What The Work Skill Instructor skill set will give you
This is for people who want to instruct skills to people in the workplace or assist with delivering nationally recognised training in RTOs (under supervision) either in person or via other means like online training.
This skill set supersedes the Enterprise Trainer-Presenting Skill Set. It can be a great start to working in the industry because you don’t have to wait until you complete the full Certificate IV in Training and Assessment to begin your new career. Bonus!
Watch this short overview video to learn more about what specialised units are included and what opportunities this skill set will give you once you complete it. This is the exciting part!
Why Choose Fortress?
We understand that undertaking study can be challenging (in particular if you have a busy schedule), so we’ve spent more time on our end making it as straightforward and efficient for you as possible! The way we do this includes:
- We have one of the fastest marking times in the industry – We know that when you start something like this, you want to get through it as fast as possible and marking times can significantly impact how fast you can do it. You’ll get your assessments back within 4 business days with us (except with the Standard Support Package, which is 4 – 8 business days max), and then the speed with which you get to graduation is mostly up to you.
- Our learning material is first-class in clarity and comprehensiveness, and is as close to what you’ll find in real life! We do this so you’re more confident and skilled when you start working as an actual trainer.
- Our support and responsiveness are why we have such a high completion rate. We’ll respond to your emails within 8 business hours, and if we miss your call, we’ll call you back within 4 business hours. Our trainers are also known for their compassion, wisdom and ability to get you all the way to graduation.
But don’t believe a word we say; go and check out our reviews and see what others have said about learning with us…
What’s Included in each unit:
This unit describes the skills and knowledge required to conduct individual and small group work skill instruction using existing support materials and demonstration of work skills as a training strategy; and assesses the success of training and one’s own training performance.
It focuses on the training being driven by the work process and context.
The unit applies to a person working under supervision as a work skill instructor in a wide range of settings not restricted to training organisations.
1. Organise Instruction and Demonstration:
- Gather information about learner characteristics and learning needs.
- Confirm a safe learning environment.
- Prepare simple session plan for work skill instruction and demonstration objectives.
- Access and review support materials for their suitability and relevance.
- Organise access to physical support material required for instruction and demonstration.
- Notify learners of planned work skill instruction.
2. Conduct Instruction and Demonstration:
- Interact with learners to establish a safe and comfortable learning environment.
- Brief learners on work health and safety (WHS) procedures and requirements prior to, and during, training.
- Follow plan for work skill instruction and cover all learning objectives.
- Use facilitation techniques to structure, pace and enhance learning, and explain and demonstrate work skills.
- Apply coaching techniques to assist learning.
- Use communication techniques to provide information, engage and instruct learners and demonstrate work skills.
- Monitor professional relationship with learner, and adjust to suit learner needs.
- Provide opportunities for learners to practise the work skill.
3. Check Training Performance:
- Use observation and questioning to check learner acquisition and use of new skills and knowledge.
- Provide feedback on learner performance to support learning.
- Monitor learner progress and outcomes in consultation with the learner.
4. Review Training Performance:
- Gather feedback from learners on work skill instruction according to organisational procedures.
- Reflect on own practice in providing instruction and demonstration, and identify strategies for improvement.
- Maintain, store and secure learner records, according to organisational and legal requirements.
This unit describes the skills and knowledge required to operate within the vocational education and training (VET) sector regulatory and operational context relevant to the job role of an entry-level VET teacher, trainer and assessor.
The unit applies to VET teachers, trainers and assessors who use a range of general competencies and knowledge to work effectively within the VET sector and typically within a Registered Training Organisation (RTO).
1. Interpret VET Policy Context:
- Access and interpret the regulatory standards for RTOs and associated VET regulator guidance to support RTO compliance.
- Access and interpret regulatory and compliance requirements relevant to the role of a VET teacher, trainer and assessor.
- Access and interpret the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) and how it applies to the delivery of vocational education and training.
- Identify, access and interpret information on VET policy and how it may impact roles and responsibilities of VET teachers, trainers and assessors.
2. Operate Within VET Delivery and Compliance Frameworks:
- Identify job roles and functions, including related work processes, within VET environments.
- Analyse organisational policies and procedures relevant to VET teachers, trainers and assessors that are applicable to a VET environment.
- Identify and access opportunities to increase knowledge of VET comp.
3. Work Effectively With Vocational Learners:
- Identify the range of learner cohorts undertaking training within the VET sector, including the needs and expectations of each.
- Interpret common processes used to identify and address individual learner needs.
- Identify organisational, legislative and regulatory requirements associated with working with vocational learners.
- Identify best practice principles related to learner diversity and inclusivity.
- Interpret processes used to seek and act on feedback from vocational learners to improve the quality of training and assessment in a VET environment.
4. Plan To Improve Own Professional Practice:
- Evaluate own vocational competency and industry currency in relation to meeting regulatory and other standards when working as a VET teacher, trainer and assessor.
- Identify digital technology requirements relevant to the role of VET teachers, trainers and assessors.
- Identify sources of feedback from industry, colleagues and learners to improve professional practice.
- Identify opportunities to improve skills and knowledge to enhance professional practice.
- Develop a plan to build and maintain vocational competency, industry currency, and skills and knowledge required for delivering vocational training, including digital skills.
We provide everything else but to complete the practical assessments, you will need the following:
- You’ll need at least 2 people to volunteer to act as your “learners” and one of those can be your “individual” learner.
You need to conduct 3 work skill instruction sessions, which can be in-person or online using a platform such as Zoom. Each session needs to be at least 30 minutes long and involve a different work skill. For your assessment, you’ll deliver 2 sessions to an individual learner and 1 session to a small group of 2 learners.
How our Pricing Works
The pricing changes depending on whether you choose to pay in full or need to select a payment plan option, and then which support package you choose.
We’ve set it up so you not only have flexibility to suit your budget, but so you only pay for what you need and nothing more. Making it more cost-effective if you need it, but also giving you options to access the support you need to get all the way through to graduation.
The Standard Support package includes all admin and technical support but is a pay-as-you-go package for one-on-one trainer support, so you only pay for what you need!
If you need some one-on-one trainer support, it’s only $50 per 30 minutes, which we find to be more than adequate for any questions or clarity that’s needed.
This option is ideal for people who are really good at self-directing their own learning, who are very comfortable with navigating the online space, and/or who typically find learning new things relatively easy.
The marking speed for students on the Standard Package is a maximum of 8 business days.
The Extra Support package includes all admin and technical support you receive in the Standard package, PLUS 3 hours of one-on-one trainer support, which you can book in 30-minute sessions (phone or video).
We find 30 minutes to be enough time to get the help and support you need. If you need more, you can purchase extra trainer time @ $50 per 30 minutes.
This option is ideal for people who aren’t as great at self-paced learning, who may not be as comfortable with navigating the online space, and/or who typically find learning new things sometimes difficult.
The marking speed for students on the Extra Package is a maximum of 4 business days.
The Ultimate Support package includes all admin and technical support you receive in the Standard package, PLUS unlimited hours of one-on-one trainer support, which you can book in 30-minute sessions.
This is the ultimate peace-of-mind package, knowing you can get as much help as you need to get through to graduation.
This option is ideal for people who struggle with self-paced learning, who aren’t comfortable with navigating the online space, and/or who typically find learning new things difficult.
The marking speed for students on the Ultimate Package is a maximum of 4 business days.
Aren’t sure what’s right for you or do you have more questions?
Don’t worry, we get it, there is a lot of information, and you may have a unique situation that we haven’t covered above or just have a preference for speaking to someone, if so, click the button below to book in with one of our Course Advisors!